What is networks
A network consists of two or more computers that are linked in order to share resources (such as printers and CDs), exchange files, or allow electronic communications.
In other words A network is a collection of computers, servers, mainframes, network devices, peripherals, or other devices connected to allow data sharing.
Types of Networks
The Network’s size can vary from connecting two computers inside a small room to lakhs of computers across the world. Different types of networks are
- Personal Area Network (PAN)
- Local Area Network (LAN)
- Metropolitan Area Network (MAN)
- Wide Area Network (WAN)
- Storage Area Network (SAN)
- System Area Network
- Enterprise Private Network (EPN)
- Virtual Private Network (VPN)
Advantages of Networks :
- Enables centralized applications hosting/data storage and users accessing it through LAN, MAN, WAN in a secure way.
- Results in considerable cost saving thro centralized administration.
- Provides Real-time information to users.
- Ensures data integrity.
- Enables business transactions, net banking across any geography.
- Optimizes software license usage and resource utilization.
- Provides a collaboration platform for employees and reduces travel cost.
Disadvantages of Networks :
- Vulnerability to cyber-attacks due to the exposure of the network to the outside world.
- Set up cost is huge.
- Sensitive Data need to be encrypted and protected through the farewell.
- The administration of networks poses a challenge due to their size and spread.